Saturday, March 13, 2010

Internet dating


It's Sunday.
By my calculation that means I'm just within the week and therefore just honouring my promise to myself. I did have to drag myself away from sweeping the back yard but I got here in the end.

It's been a funny old week. Filled with a few crazy moments, bored moments, tearing my hair out moments and lots of questions.

It's good to have questions I reckon, even more so when they turn into an epiphany, which is also what I experienced this week. I can't take all the credit for it, it was a culmination of many tidbits of wisdom from friends, (real and cyber) family and some wicked You-tubers.

The first epiphany (which isn't really mine but Gary Vee's) is: "Success is a byproduct of your passion." Enough said-Great. Simple. To the point. Will discuss in another blog.

The second epiphany: my job searching needs to be deconstructed and put into two areas.
These two areas are:
1) jobs for now that will pay for my bacon and eggs on a Sunday and
2) jobs that will be in the future which allow me to have lobster at the Summit restaurant whenever I like. (I'm not saying my preferred career has to be high paying, but you get the idea.)
I need work now. Any type of work that's get the bills paid and my esteem repaired. When I have this, I can work on the passion.

My beautiful friend K helped me with this notion separating the two types of job issue I have. She noted that I need to find a job, for the meantime that wont necessarily be what I want to do forever but that is low stress and potentially has the ability to be flexiblein order to give me time to work on my future plans. She allowed me to see this NOW job as a means to an end. When I thought of it like that, it actually reduced my stress immediately.

My husband has also been very helpful. In the midst of one of my numerous weekly meltdowns , he gently said to me i need to think baby steps. I have a tendency to be overwhelmed by the unknown and he called me up on that and suggested a simple solution, take baby steps. By having him understand my nature in that one second took the pressure off and enabled me to take his advice.
By breaking complex ideas/situation down to many smaller digestable areas I increase my chances of success in every day to day task. You cant walk until you learn to crawl, isnt that the saying? So I am intent on trying to focus on those baby steps, which Im sure will help me find an easier path to those heavy all enveloping questions that surround my future.

I have felt like I have been through a turbulent relationship this week. Like I have been on the dating scene again. Because I haven't been able to separate the two different jobs I'm after, I've been really confused in identifying what I want exactly. Scouring the employment pages I have felt desperate, longing to find "the one" and wondering if the job world is perhaps just not that in to me. ?

And then suddenly there it was. Seek. As in working for Seek. As in working with shiny happy people all over the place, who eat scones and jam and play video games, ping pong and use slides to get from the top floor to the bottom. In the middle of their work day no less! This place is amazing. I never knew such a workplace existed. I gather all my courage and I do something drastic.

I apply.

I get rejected.

I feel worthless and ugly. Dumped before Ive even got to 1st base. Its not like I was applying to take over the corporation, it was just selling education programs over the phone for goodness sake. Maybe Seek and I weren't soul mates after all. But I was so sure....

After scoffing a tub of sara lee chocolate fudge ice cream, I then turned my attentions to stalking.What every hopeless rejected romantic turns to in despair. I cant help but turn the computer on. I tell myself to look for other work, on other sites so I don't have to see the words Seek even come up, but it's futile. I am transfixed by every new posting that appears online, wondering how to get noticed.
Then I find there are more of them. I am totally addicted to Australia's top 5 best workplaces,where it's the norm to wear nose studs, individuality is celebrated and you hug your boss when you leave, if you ever want to leave at all.

But then I get confused and realise I'm probably just settling. I love the sound of the environment but the work isn't really me. Ive been getting muddled again. The line between the now and the future has been blurred and it doesn't need to be.

I digress. What I'm trying to say is that I have made a decision. That it's OK to have a job that is not Mr right, as long as it could be Mr right now.

As I have slowly come to that conclusion it has allowed me to calm right down. No one is holding a gun to my head and telling me the next job I go for has to be the final curtain call. There is today's job and then there is tomorrow's. They do not have to be interlinked in any way if I dont want them to be and the chase can be equally as exciting as the kill.

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome analogy. Makes perfect sense. I wonder if there is speed-recruiting, where employers and job-seekers can interview each other in quickfire succession to see if they fancy each other?

    ReplyDelete